For forty years beginning in 1942, Johnny and Marti Suitor directed the camp while serving on the faculty of Deerfield Academy. In 1983, they transferred ownership to their sons Jack and Dave while maintaining their summer residence at camp. Today, David and Linda Suitor carry on the family tradition. They are joined at camp by their two daughters, Kasey and Abby and their two dogs, Emma and Daisy.
The original idea for a children’s camp began in Gales Ferry, Connecticut when Dr. and Mrs. Luther Halsey Gulick started Camp Gulick in 1886 as a co-ed group with parents acting as counselors. The founders were pioneers in the field of youth education and worked towards a goal that camping might eventually become the heritage of every child. Dr. Gulick introduced the first physical education programs for the New York City school system and his wife Charlotte later started the Camp Fire Girls. When they perceived that the site in Connecticut was too civilized, they moved the camp to the present site of Wohelo on Sebago Lake in 1907. The boys moved to a separate site on Sebago in 1917 and to the present site on Panther Pond in 1920.